THE SPECTRUM STORYWhen you need colour, and not just any colour will do
A message from Paul Clark, Spectrum's founder and Technical Colourist
First of all, thank you for visiting our website, we are delighted you are considering us for your custom colour project.
My career in custom colours and coatings began 30 years ago as a 16 year old working in an accident repair and bodyshop. I found myself doing custom paint jobs as they came in and started experimenting on my own bike. This hobby quickly turned into a full-blown passion. That led to requests from colleagues and friends and my creations were shown in Backstreet Heroes magazine. This helped my street cred no end as you can imagine. Many years of painting vehicles of all shapes and sizes ensued and I built a reputation that led to me clinching an enviable job working for an international paint company. My role involved managing and supporting our paint approvals clientele and, even more excitingly, developing colour and technical product knowledge in the company’s Technical Centre. I was in my element!
The 90s were a time of change in the paint industry. Scientific advances and increased understanding of the impact paint ingredients were having on the environment meant that manufacturers had major changes to face up to in order to produce paints that would comply with new legislation. The company created a unique role for me and I was tasked with creating new formulations to match the old colours – no easy task. Paint is a complex substance and even a small change in the formulation can produce unacceptable changes in the shades. This role provided me with a challenging and exciting opportunity to learn and develop my understanding of paints and pigments, how they are made and how they perform.
My passion for customisation eventually led me to Spectrum Paintworx around 12 years ago.
My goal was to create a service that provides custom colour enthusiasts, show competitors and design and decor professionals with access to a wider range of colour and coating possibilities matched with a standard of service and quality that enabled them to achieve looks that simply could not be found elsewhere. I knew that my colleagues and I could ensure that our customers could rely on the performance of our finishes commercially. Each team that works on a Spectrum project is comprised of highly skilled, experienced, qualified professionals who give meticulous individual attention to our clients' vision and requirements and take pride in delivering something exceptional every time.
We are technical and creative innovators with a passion for developing and applying paint colours and coatings that push the boundaries of conventional pigments. This is where the years of experience and skill come in. Because of our deep understanding of the specialist pigments we use, we are able to formulate and apply colour and coating combinations that go beyond the usual "Buy and Apply" service offered by garages and finishing workshops.
With a combined 45 years of coating and paintshop experience. We are proud to be a Member of the Institute of the Motor Industry. You can be sure your project is in experienced and well qualified hands. Our aim is to provide you with the highest professional standard of work possible.
Spectrum's facililties are located in the heart of the Kent countryside near Sittingbourne and we work with clients from across the UK. We are always happy to visit you onsite wherever you are.
We look forward to opening your mind to new colour and finish possibilities and working with you to achieve the vision you have for your project.
Our clients choose Spectrum Paintworx because:
- Our deep understanding of pigments, substrates and products used.
- Our skill, expertise, precision and attention to detail.
- We can work from drawings and photos supplied.
- We undertake corporate logo and brand colour projects.
- We can cater for multiple product runs as well as individual item projects.
- Automotive concept and historic colour projects to Concours standards
- We can formulate colours and coatings for an incredible range of surfaces and substrates and make sure they perform exceptionally well.
- We take the time to view the environment that static items will be displayed in and advise on the best choice of coating to deal with ambient lighting or weather conditions.
- Colour spray outs are supplied and agreed on before we commence work.
- We manage projects professionally and maintain good communication practices throughout.
- We plan meticulously and provide a step-by-step breakdown of the work processes and products required to carry out the work to the highest quality.
- We provide supportive evidence of materials and labour used to quantify the process and justify costs.
- We're happy to work as part of a project team under third party guidance.
- Personal, attentive service from beginning to end.
- We can undertake or supervise transportation and installation where necessary.
- Customer confidentiality is paramount.
- We are delighted to welcome clients onsite to view ongoing work by arrangement.
- We create and supply a photographic and/or video record of the stages of the job to add to their portfolio history.
Our passion, perfectionism, innovation and creativity
Discover a world of colour options
Explore the possibilities of a world-leading range of colours and coatings with Spectrum. Stand out from the crowd with a vibrant, knock-em-dead blaze of individuality or convey flawless class with a subtle and sophisticated rendition of a classic look.
Whatever the surface, your palette is almost unlimited with Spectrum.
Go on, break the rules!
Join us as we take these advanced coatings to new places and amazing applications